Twenty-three years ago (Last Thursday the 14th) I was brought into this beautiful, but crazy world. As I sit here pondering these past 23 years and what good & bad things have happened I can’t stop the tears rolling down my face. Have I gotten more emotional over the years? Hmm maybe…
This past year alone has been a crazy one. I have learned a whole lot about myself and how to thrive in this world. Truthfully though it hasn’t been an easy road and it will continue to get harder as time goes on, but I promise I won’t let anything stop me from continuing on. If there was just one thing that I have learned it is that no person or family is “perfect.” We can all try to portray ourselves as perfect to the outside world, but truth is no one is. We all have a little crazy in each one of us 😉
Just a few things that has happened this year:
- My beautiful mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and it was something that our family didn’t see coming. Though dealing with cancer can be the most horrible time in someone’s life, it never did let it discourage her. Thankfully she fought hard and beat it! She’s with all of us today therefore I couldn’t be any more thankful and blessed.
- I published my first book!! I did it with the help of a few AMAZING sponsors! I still can’t believe that my story is available for purchase through Amazon and Barnes & Noble. It had been a dream of mine to write and publish my very own book, so to be able to see it happen was a dream come true. For more info about my book click on the “Always Looking Up” tab on the top of this page.
- My life long friend asked me to be his girlfriend! [ Keep a look out for a Q&A coming soon ]
- I had a biopsy done of a bump that I found in my left armpit. When I had blood work done they told me that it could possibly be that “C” word. Yes, cancer. They sent me to someone, who sent me to the breast center at Long Beach Memorial. They advised me to have a biopsy right then and there because it was “big” and they knew it wasn’t a cyst. I got a call a few days or so later with the results and it was NOTHING, but to come back in 6 months so they can monitor the growth. Hmmm…
- My youngest brother Miles Dewey was diagnosed with a seizure disorder. He had his first ever seizure which scared us all, and then he had his second one. After his first seizure we found out that he has a spot on his brain that triggers these seizures. I seriously hope & pray that the spot will go away and that he doesn’t have to experience another seizure ever again.
- For quite a while I was going through extreme anxiety and depression. It got to a point where I even experienced my first panic attack. No I am not happy about this nor do I go around telling people just so others will feel sorry for me. I sometimes feel ashamed that I feel this way because I truly have a lot to be thankful for so why am I feeling so down some days. I don’t want to share this kind of stuff, but I know in order to grow and move on from this I have to be 100% honest not only with you guys but also with myself. [There will be a blog post coming up real soon about this serious topic.]
- I found out that I’m going to be a bridesmaid in my best friends wedding!!
- During my spring break this year I flew to PARIS! The whole experience being away was pretty amazing, but what was more amazing was that I experienced a whole different country for the very first time. It was an awesome feeling knowing that I was experiencing life away from where I am use to with the people who already know me.
This year I am looking forward to…
I am looking forward to starting my own YouTube channel. Right now on YouTube I follow various individuals / families who vlog their everyday life and different DIY’s and makeup tutorials. For those who don’t know what a vlog is it is a “Video Log.” So kind of like a blog, but in a video form. Many people get very creative and It all looks to be super fun. Whenever (key word) I choose to go out and actually film I want to show what it’s like to live in my shoes. I want to showcase my everyday life and my everyday thoughts & feelings. It’s going to be raw. It’s going to be authentic. Being a writer and having already been on a show showcasing what it’s like to date as a little person I have basically mastered being an open book and sharing so much about my life, but never have I done it video style. This year I am so excited to meet new people and grow new friendships. I am excited to getting back to promoting my book and educating the world about dwarfism.
In the following years to come I am looking forward to…
I am looking forward to someday starting my own foundation and traveling around the world and telling my story. I firmly believe that we all have a story of our own to tell and it’s our responsibility to go out in the world and share it.